How to connect VOXL to Pixhawk Telemetry to send data over WiFi or LTE
Table of contents
- Application Customization
The VOXL provides the ability to stream MAVLink telemetry data between flight controllers and ground control stations. In this user guide, a Pixhawk 4 Mini and QGroundControl are used.
A demo application ships on the VOXL and provides the ability to relay MAVLink messages through the SLPI DSP over UART (J12) to the Pixhawk, and over Wi-Fi to QGroundControl.
One could alternatively do this over LTE following the guide here and the addition of a VPN connection (a user guide on this soon to come)!
- Host computer (Ubuntu 18.04 used in this guide)
- VOXL Core Board (MCCA-M0006)
- Wi-Fi antennas (MANT-00001)
- APM Regulator Board and cable (MCCA-M0009 and MCBL-00001 cable)
- 5V/6A Power Supply (MPS-00001-1, MPN: WR9QA6000LCP-N(R6B) with Q-NA(R))
- Micro USB cables
- Pixhawk 4 Mini (or equivalent)
- A custom cable with the following pinout:
|VOXL - J12, DF13-6S-1.25C connector||Pixhawk 4 Mini - TELEM1|
|Pin 2 - TX||Pin 3 - RX|
|Pin 3 - RX||Pin 2 - TX|
|Pin 5 - GND||Pin 6 - GND|
- Download the
- Install the package to the target:
adb push slpi_uart_x.x.x.ipk /home/root/ipk adb shell "opkg install /home/root/ipk/slpi_uart_x.x.x.ipk"
Host computer with:
- QGroundControl installed (link to information)
- Disconnect power from the VOXL
- Ensure Wi-Fi antennas are attached (see here for details)
- Connect the VOXL’s J12 to the Pixhawk 4 Mini’s TELEM1 using the custom cable described above
- Reconnect power
- Configure the VOXL as an Access Point (or connect it to a network)
- instructions on how to do this are here
- Connect the host computer to the VOXL’s Access Point (default password is 1234567890) or to the same network you connected the VOXL to
- Locate the host computer’s IP Address and note it for later
Run The Demo Application
- Run QGroundControl on the host computer
- Power the VOXL on
- Power the Pixhawk 4 Mini using USB for this bench test
- SSH onto the target (see here for details)
- Run the telemetry proxy application using IP address noted above
telem_proxy <Host IP Address>
Copyright (c) 2019 ModalAI Inc.