VOXL Functional Description
Table of contents
- Power Specifications
- Board Dimensions
- On board sensors
- Recommended Operating Conditions
High level specifications of the platform
- Base Operation System: Linux Yocto Jethro with 3.18 kernel. Additional Linux Operating Systems can be used by running Docker on VOXL, details here
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 w/ 4GB LPDDR4 1866MHz
- Quad-core CPU up to 2.15GHz
- Adreno 530 GPU at 624MHz
- Hexagon compute DSP (cDSP) 825MHz
- Hexagon sensor DSP (sDSP) 700MHz
- 4k30 Video Capture h.264/5 w/ 720p FPV
- PCB 36mm x 75mm, 12-layer, 1mm thick
The following table conveys the camera sensor configurations currently supported on VOXL directly through MIPI CSI-2. Additional cameras can be supported through UVC (Linux USB Camera).
|Configuration||Sensor Interface 0 (CSI0)||Sensor Interface 1 (CSI1)||Sensor Interface 2 (CSI2)|
|1||High-res 4k RGB rolling shutter camera 30Hz (IMX214 or IMX377)||Stereo Synchronized Stereo Sensor Pair B&W (OV7251)||Tracking VGA B&W global shutter up to 90Hz (OV7251)|
|2||High-res 4k RGB rolling shutter camera 30Hz (IMX214 or IMX377)||ToF Active Time of Flight Sensor||Tracking VGA B&W global shutter up to 90Hz (OV7251)|
|3||Tracking VGA B&W global shutter up to 90Hz (OV7251)||Stereo Synchronized Stereo Sensor Pair B&W (OV7251)||Tracking VGA B&W global shutter up to 90Hz (OV7251)|
|4||Tracking VGA B&W global shutter up to 90Hz (OV7251)||ToF Active Time of Flight Sensor||Tracking VGA B&W global shutter up to 90Hz (OV7251)|
Connectivity and Location
- 802.11ac 2x2 Dual-band
- Bluetooth 4.2 (dual-mode)
- 4G LTE as optional add-on module
- Microhard pDDL as an optional add-on module
- WGR7640 GNSS 10Hz
- 2x USB2.0
- 2x UART
- 3x I2C
- Additional GPIO and SPI can be configured
- 32GB (UFS 2.0)
- Micro SD Card
- Docker with Ubuntu
- OpenCV 2.4.11, 3.4.6, 4.2
- ROS Indigo
- Qualcomm Navigator 1.0 Flight Control
- Qualcomm Machine Vision SDK
The VOXL should be powered by a supply rated at 6A and 5VDC.
A recomended power supply is defined here.
- Caution: although the VOXL may power up from USB power, it is not recommended to operate this way.
On board sensors
The green alpha units marked HA942 contain 2 Invensense MPU9250 The blue beta units marked MODALAI 0006 contain 2 Invensense 20948
The IMUs have been updated as the MPU9250 is EOL. Both are 9-axis with similar performing MEMS sensors internally. The Invensense API is slightly different between the MPU9250 and the ICM20948.
Note: IMU1 consistently performs better than IMU0. IMU1 is strongly recommended for flight and VIO use. SNAV 1.3 and greater, which is found at developer.modalai.com, uses IMU1 by default.
IMU1 (recommended) is connected via SPI1
IMU0 is connected via SPI10
Recommended Operating Conditions
- Operating Temperature: -10°C to +70°C